Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MTC Drop Off

This is my first time i've ever posted anything on a "blog," so please be patient.

Our experience at the MTC was literally a drop off zone like at the airport.  We had a check-in time of 1:30.  We pulled the car in at 1:20 and were greeted by Rod and Jill Bergman -some very good friends/family for many years!   Good thing they were there too, so we could get some pictures taken.  The "Hosts" simply help you get your gear from the car and send you on your way.  This is definitely an airport loading zone.  I kept waiting for the airport cop to show up on a Segway...  We hugged each other for mere seconds, then Ali was off and disappeared into the other masses of missionaries heading in to the MTC.

Dawn and I were quite stunned at this experience and didn't realize what had just happened until we hit I-15 headed back to California.  The tears flowed for a while, then there was utter silence in the car until just before Wendover.  I tuned the satellite radio to listen to Dr. Laura to ease the emotions.  After changing our clothes in a smoke scented truck stop in West Wendover, we grabbed some snacks and had a great trip the rest of the way home.

Our day and half trip to the Prove MTC was special as just the three of us enjoyed each other's company and last hours together.  We even stopped by the "Sister Missionary Mall" to by some overpriced things.  Dinner at P.F. Changs was a nice send off just before that wonderful buffet cuisine at the MTC.

Wednesday morning, we stopped by the Cocoa Bean for a prized cupcake/muffin.  Ali's friend had moved back to Idaho Falls, so her hopes of visiting one last person were dashed.  Good food though.  :)

Now we wait for a response to our numerous e-mails to her MTC box.  This whole wait a week for feedback is for the birds.  I guess I, too, have become a texting junkie and neeeeed instant response.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Richard, Dad, UR, blog servant...

Ooopsie.  Here's her MTC email address until 8/4/10:

Provo MTC
Box #165
8/4 departure date


  1. I was so happy to see Ali's blog! Mikayla (now
    Sister Bunnell) called this morning as she awaited her departure at the SLC airport. It was SOOO great to hear from her. She said Ali was just down the hall and was doing GREAT! She had anxiously been awaiting her arrival for two weeks. She told me Ali is loving it and looks really "OFFICIAL" with the other sister missionaries who will be serving at temple square. They are all in their suits and really stand out. Mikayla is super excited for her. My husband and I had the same experience at the MTC! It all happens so fast it leaves you speechless! I got a call from Mikayla's mission president tonight -- and it was SO GReAT to talk to him!!! He told me where she was assigned, but my stomach and head was doing flips, and now I totally can't remember what he said! Good luck, and I'll be following Ali's adventure. I, like you, have never done the blog thing...but it's getting easier! ;-)

  2. Hello Ali's MOM and DAD!! This is Gary Rasmussen- I was Ali's boss at The Cocoa Bean in Rexburg. This is kind of random but we have a few questions for her DAD-I am not sure if you check this very often-but could you give me a call at 208-339-6375 that would be awesome! Thanks